[OSM-talk] 3000 registered users but the stats arn't all rosy

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Fri Sep 1 15:41:48 BST 2006

Andy makes a very valid point here, and I am surprised others haven't
commented thus.
There are tremendous strides being taken with OSM, but they are not all
visible. Certainly the public face of the project does not do justice to
these developments. Unfortunately, much of the action is behind the
scenes - by people coding, tinkering, discussing, etc.
OJW, Rob S and I are giving a talk/demo to Herts Linux Users Group on
Wed 13th Sept (info to go on wiki as soon as I have a moment, but
mentioned on talk before) and will be using live site, plus off-line
editors, etc as examples of what can be done. However, as we will be
talking to what I assume will be "techies" who may well have interest in
coding, etc, it would be very useful to be able to point to wiki
development page and say these are things being worked on, these are
things planned, "Can you help in any way?". That is the external
ratioanle for putting that info together.
Internally it would be very useful too. For instance who really knows
where we have got to on the import/adjust coastline data issue? OK the
decision making process on matters like this is another area altogether,
but when developments are in train they should be publically noted.
[Have I missed soemthing in the wiki btw?] Anyone frustrated by the
timeframes and usability of the API should be able to drill down and
find who was working on that, what they were trying to achieve, where
they could help, and when/if a change might be expected.
So, does anyone fancy coordinating the coordinate collaborators?!
As Andy says, lets make the positives into more positives and really
show what collaborative efforts can produce.

Steve Chilton, Learning Support Fellow
Learning and Technical Support Unit Manager
School of Health and Social Sciences
Middlesex University
phone/fax: 020 8411 5355
email: steve8 at mdx.ac.uk