[OSM-talk] Maps and names

Bruce Cowan bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Sep 1 19:46:16 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 14:27 +0100, Emil wrote:
> Well some of us don't think taking coords from a map is copyright
> infringement - as the posts below show, this view leads to ridiculous
> conclusions. I'll say it again: you can't copyright facts.
>
> I understand people are scared of lawyers - but I think some sort of
> stand needs to be taken here - we need to call bullshit on the OS etc
> who think they can copyright facts.

It's impossible to forget things such as Glasgow being the name of a
city being on the Clyde, it just seems ridiculous.  Even if someone
copied a fact from a copyrighted map which is correct, there is no way
that anyone can find out.  It's impossible to need proof for everything
that you put on the map.