[OSM-talk] QT4 [WAS:N00b experiences]

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Sun Sep 3 23:07:32 BST 2006

Robert Scott wrote:
> On Sunday 03 September 2006 13:11, Bruce Cowan wrote:
>> I am sure QT4 is good for programmers for the above reasons, but I like
>> to keep a pure GTK+ environment, simply because of QT's licensing
>> issues.
>
> What, the GPL? If you've got problems with the GPL, then you probably have a
> few more fundamental problems with using a GNU/Linux system.

Years ago there was great consternation (rightly so) in the free
software community about Trolltech's licensing. Perhaps with some, the
feelings remain, even though the licensing is now genuine free software.

I raised this issue with RMS a couple of years ago (after Trolltech
GPL'd QT). He said both Gnome and KDE are now free software and seemed
to project no distinction WRT freedom between the environments.