[OSM-talk] N00b experiences

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Tue Sep 5 00:07:26 BST 2006

Hi,

> I have made a start on an AJAX interface (see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/osmajax for brief details)
> but I'm holding fire on it for the moment as it could well be that
> Richard Fairhurst's Flash-based (but generated via open source tools)
> Potlatch editor (see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Potlatch) delivers on this
> particular front. If people see the need for an AJAX based interface
> *as well* please let me know but in the meantime I'm waiting for the
> initial release of Potlatch.

the problem I see with flash is that you depend on a company. On Linux,
I often have seen flashed pages which forced my machine to 100% CPU
load. If some day there will be no flash plugin for Linux, I'll be
lost, and lost are all contributors who work on machines without one of
the major operating systems.

That's why I vote for a platform (and if possible, even browser
independent) implementation.

ce