[OSM-talk] The OSM Applet - let's ditch it for JOSM (was: Mapping Reading, some impressions)

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Tue Sep 5 17:13:09 BST 2006

> My impression as a first-time user, trying to think less technical: It
> was far too difficult to get useful results. It has to be much easier to
> take a GPX track, or a part of a GPX track, and convert it to a useful
> way. It was far too much manual labor for an average newbie.
>
> On another note:
>
> Myself, I'm pondering on the following strategy:
>
> 1) Use the new "convert to data layer functionality" on the GPX tracks,

Have you tried to use something like
 save your data in josm to work.osm
 osmfilter.pl --filter-all --osm=work.osm your-tracefile.nmea
This might reduce the track data to a good starting point.
Load the the resulting your-tracefile.nmea-converted.gpx into josm. If you
like the result; you can add --out-osm to the filter and get a starting point
for your edits.
Then you save your data-layer as gpx file[work.gpx](for reference), drop
(delete) the data-layer in jom. And then load the work.gpx and the resulting
tracefile.nmea.osm then you only have to delete and correct all those badly
converted spots. After really twice double checking for already existing
and/or wrong trace parts you can save this to a result.osm and then start
uploading.
Sometimes after uploading the only thing left is to connect your new segments
to the already existing osm segments.

> Is there any good reason not to do this?

Most of the time:
 - the number of resulting points is way too high.
   Mostly on straight lines you can reduce the number of points to 1/10
 - You have double tracks if you where driving a road in both directions

> And related to this, I do have a feature request: Make it possible to
> delete "a range" of nodes and segments. This would make it very easy to
> create ways....

Use bounding-box-select or connected-segment-selects and then type 'd'

> Is there any particular reason why it can't be that easy?

Because we really really lack coders !

> With an accurate GPS, who am I to second where it places the nodes, if I
> haven't
> deviated from the way? A quick control of the result is good, of course,
> but I think it's a far quicker route to more complete maps if this gets
> easier.

Currently you have to use osmfilter from commandline, but in the future imi is
thinking about how he can integrate it into josm.

> Feel free to flame me if there is a good reason to :)

No need to ;-)

--

Jörg (Germany, Munich)

http://www.ostertag.name/
TeamSpeak2: ts2.ostertag.name, user: tweety, Channel: "GPS Drive"
irc://irc.oftc.net/#osm