[OSM-talk] Text for promotional material for New Forest weekend

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Mon Sep 11 23:41:54 BST 2006

Been in contact with the New Forest tourist centre today. Basically they said
I could do one or both of two things to promote the upcoming OSM event: email
them something to put on their website, or make some leaflets promoting the
event.

Have drafted the text of a leaflet or website entry below. I'm trying to
attract people who might be interested in the *idea of making maps* as I
think that's the most likely userbase for non-OSM people.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Nick

--

[OSM Logo]

Create Your Own Maps of the New Forest!
==========================

Like walking or cycling in the Forest? Like the idea of creating your own
maps? Then drop in to the OpenStreetMap New Forest weekend!

OpenStreetMap is a project to produce free maps of the world using satellite
tracking equipment ("GPS") - essentially, exactly the same system as your car
satellite navigation system, and it is coming to the New Forest on the
weekend of September 23rd/24th, with the aim of producing a new, free and
detailed map of the Forest. By coming along you can contribute to this map!

Bring your own GPS if you have one, but if you don't, don't worry - around 6
(?) will be available for you to borrow. Then go ofand walk or cycle a
section of the Forest and meet up in the evening at [one of the Brockenhurst
pubs]  for a demonstration of how you can turn your GPS-surveyed route into a
map on your PC.

Meet at Brockenhurst (insert venue) at 10am on both Saturday September 23rd
and Sunday September 24th.

For more information see www.openstreetmap.org, or email nick at hogweed.org For
a map of what OpenStreetMap has done so far in the forest see [Freemap URL;
have chosen freemap rather than the slippy renderer as it's somewhat faster]