[OSM-talk] Front page design

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Tue Sep 12 21:34:23 BST 2006

On 9/10/06, OJW <streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk> wrote:
> OK, I'll kick-off the webdesign competition, with a few ideas for
> openstreetmap.org's front page:
>
> http://almien.co.uk/OSM/PageDesign/

I like a lot of the things you've got here on your proposed front
page, but personally I think we shouldn't try to clutter the front
page. Perhaps a nice clean page with a big preview of what can be
created, a nice short intro (eg 'The OpenStreetMap project is creating
and providing free geographic data that anyone can use, modify, and
distribute '), links to main sections 'about the project', 'view the
map', 'getting involved', 'donations', and the like. Then underneath
that, images of recent changes, a small preview of how much of the
earth is covered, a search box, upcoming events.

That would be the view for non-logged in users, but then most of that
can go once you've logged in, giving some more specific links to your
account, recent changes in areas you've shown an interest in (eg
edited in, or clicked 'add to my watch list' from a search results
page), etc

I've started a mockup, and will hopefully post it tomorrow once I've
had a chance to put some more of it together. I guess the sort of
thing I'm going for is the nice clean web2.*-like front page that
turns into your own once you've logged in (think Flickr).

Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Karran