[OSM-talk] Map Feature default |was: Re: Annotation presets]

Thomas Walraet thomas at walraet.com
Tue Sep 12 23:43:00 BST 2006

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) a écrit :

> Well foot=yes tells, that I know that you can walk this way. But without a tag
> set I wouldn't know if i can or cannot walk along this way. Thats the reason
> I think even foot=yes or foot=no make sense.

My confusion probably came from this language barrier again. When I used
"footway" it's to mean "A track made for pedestrian", so it seems odd to
see a foot=no tag on it.

I just had to remember that "footway" is probably something else in
English classification.

In France, only motorway are strictly forbidden to pedestrian, but the
law state that if a sideway is available along any road it _had_ to be
used (I learned that because roller are considered as pedestrians).
That's why I put foot=no by default for some road types on my *example*

Concerning cycleway/footway difference, we have here a part of some road
reserved for bicycles. Sometime roads only for bicycles. It's what I
will naturally tag as cycleway, and the pedestrian are not allowed to
stay on those roads if a sideway is available. Once again it's a value
from Map Feature that probably mean something else for English people.