[OSM-talk] Map features page information

Barnett, Phillip Phillip.Barnett at itn.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 13:24:30 BST 2006

I don't know what makes you give this distinction between woods and
forests based on treetype - that's not so at all. Forests can be
principally deciduous too!
The actual distinction is to do with canopy cover - ie, density of trees
- woodland being lightly populated, and forest being more impenetrable.
(This is obviously in addition to the historical meaning in the case of,
say the New Forest in the UK )

Phillip