[OSM-talk] open data

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Sep 21 12:36:26 BST 2006

Ahoy,

On Thursday 21 September 2006 11:30, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> > I want my maps to be free, but also actually have some use. I'm worried
> > that by having a licence that prevents most of our potential users from
> > using our maps (in the same way as they currently use other maps), we're
> > going to be free but largely useless.
>
> One example of using OSM data in a commercial product would be using my
> Freemap maps (derived from OSM data) in a commercial walks guidebook. I
> would very much wish to support and encourage this use. I would hope that
> the OSM licence would not prevent the use of OSM data in this manner.

There's nothing stopping you making those commercial walks guidebooks, so long
as they're released under the CC BY-SA license :) I'm not entirely convinced
that you couldn't put together a good business model around that, but anyway,
I just thought I'd clarify that.

Regards,
Tom

--
The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera