[OSM-talk] open data

Stephan Schildberg schildberg at scoid.de
Thu Sep 21 14:22:05 BST 2006

Wollschaf schrieb:
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:52:51 +0200, Stephan Schildberg wrote:
>

>> This exactly should be avoided, that data again could be withdrawn from
>> the public.
>>

> As the source is still open, is the data really withdrawn? It's still
> available at OSM, just the additions to the map are not forced to be
> published. It is not clear in which case more data is lost...

yes, the written/tagged  assumptions (additions) derived from OSM then
are disclosed from the public. OSM should be totally useless for them,
let them do their own non community related PSM privatestreetmap.
I have no interest to support people with an non-public interest who
won't feed back their data. I give my data to them, that they can do
something interesting for us too. Which interest do you have to hide
places with a lot of mushrooms from us?
> If more OSM-based maps are published, more people are attracted to
> contribute to OSM. That means even without forcing map publishers to give
> data back to OSM, other people will. With restrictive SA-licensing, far
> less maps will be published, I think.

I do agree with with you that far less maps will be generated, it will
grow more slowly, but in the end we didn't miss a historic chance to
free data which gain momentum anyway. Its a different dynamic.

regards, Stephan.