[OSM-talk] open data

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 23:36:35 BST 2006

To me the one thing that has come out of today's useful and interesting
discussions is the amount of confusion that occurs as a result of discussion
across the boundary of geodata that is contributed (gpx) or created (map
editing) and that of creating another work (artistic or otherwise) using the
geodata extracted from OSM.

It would be helpful if we could keep the two separate because the problems
and concerns raised by Steve in his talk this week relate to the geodata
itself.

As OSM's first consideration is the collection, storage, extension and
dissemination of the geodata and not cartography should we not focus on
dealing with licensing related to this core need before we worry too much
about the derivatives of what OSM holds.

And I need a seriously concise summary from today and I'm having trouble
achieving that on my own ;-)

Cheers

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk