[OSM-talk] open data

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Thu Sep 21 03:54:01 BST 2006

At 11:50 PM 20/09/2006, Emil wrote:
>Andy, do you have any specific examples of where people/organisations
>can't use OSM data because of license problems?
>
>Emil

Emil,

If you don't mind me butting in, I am an example.

I'm hoping to launch a service in 2007 where I need to display a
base-map inside a commercial web-based application, i.e. basically a
mash-up.  I'll have to use Google Maps or license a commercial base
map or save money by not having a map at all.

I'd love to be able to collect general mapping data for the areas we
are interested in, contribute that to OSM and then use an OSM base
map.  My problem is the Share Alike provision of the current license
"If you [...] build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting
work only under a license identical to this one."  I think that many
OSM members could reasonably interpret that as meaning any other data
in my commercial application should be equally available.  Sorry,
can't/won't do that as I gotta live.

If the majority of OSM members would favour such use, and I quite
appreciate and accept that they may not, any or all of the following
would be helpful:
- Have an agreed statement on the OSM website that states what would
be considered a "Collective Work" and what a "Derivative Work".  The
base license http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/legalcode
is not geared to defining this for OSM data.

- Have an agreed statement on the OSM website that states under what
circumstances the Share Alike condition might be waived and who in
OSM would actually decide ("Any of these conditions can be waived if
you get permission from the copyright holder."
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/).
- Consider commercial licensing for the small guys.
- I personally would love to see my OSM data contributions put
completely into the public domain.  I have no problem with other
people doing other great unexpected things closed commercially or
open source - I believe this will lead to the greater common good in
the long term.  But I respect that many OSM members might be
vehemently opposed to this?

Mike
Oz

PS OSM is pointing to an earlier version of the Creative Commons
license that they suggest updating to:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/legalcode