[OSM-talk] open data

Bruce Cowan bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Sep 22 16:58:48 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 18:11 +0100, Bruce Cowan wrote:
> On a similar note, are there any plans to migrate to a CC 3.0 licence
> once they are out, as they should conform to the DFSG.
Mabye I should clear this up.

Debian is the largest volunteer GNU/Linux distribution.  They have a set
of guidelines, the Debian Free Software Guidelines
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DFSG ).  The licence that we use in OSM
at the moment does not qualify as free software under this definition,
but the version 3 suite of CC licences should comply.  Perhaps if we
want to stay with CC-BY-SA, we should consider migrating to CC-BY-SA 3.0
when it comes out, otherwise any software using our data would not
qualify as free software by Debian.
--
Bruce Cowan <bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com>