[OSM-talk] open data

OJW streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 19:33:52 BST 2006

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 15:50, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> But in this case, I don't think that OSM gains from insisting that the
> finished map is shared alike - it loses out because it doesn't get the
> waterways or contours.

I would be very disappointed to see an OSM map that I couldn't copy in a
guidebook or leaflet.  Removing the copyleft protection of "-SA" means that
we'll have failed to preserve the users' freedom to copy.

When someone uses a CC-BY-SA map in their products, then lots of good things
happen:
* The publisher obviously benefits, from being able to easily download and use
map data
* OSM benefits, as people who read the guidebook find out about OSM (and they
learn in a very practical way the benefits of copyleft, as they have a map
that they can copy)
* The mappers benefit, from knowing their work is being used to expand the
Creative Commons, perhaps encouraging guidebooks, leaflets, or posters that
are copyleft

I'm not convinced it benefits the publisher's competitor greatly.  Sure, they
can copy your work and resell it. But only with a notice saying who wrote it.

Customer: "why does the front page of your guidebook say that you plagarised
it from your competitor?"

Lawyer: "why does your map contain trademarks of the person you copied it
from?"

Newspaper: "Company X today unveiled their latest series of leaflets, but
smallprint reveals that they've been taking other peoples' work and passing
it off as their own..."