[OSM-talk] open data

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Sep 22 23:57:38 BST 2006

Etienne wrote:

> We (the OSMF) can't relicense the data under a different
> license.  Nor can anyone else.  That is exactly the protection
> that the SA clause provides.

Of course you are right, but only under certain assumptions that
we tend to take for granted when in fact they might not be, namely
that (1) the data is copyrightable, (2) anybody would care to
fight against such an action, and (3) they would win the case.
To be specific, I didn't talk about relicensing, but declaring the
map data to be in the public domain.  In the PD, there can be no
licensing because there is no copyright or other rights.

My question was: what would happen if OSMF tried this trick?
Unlike murder and arson, the police doesn't fight copyright
violations (or breeches of contracts) on their own initiative,
because they don't have information about who owns what or what
has been agreed upon. The offense must be reported to police by
the copyright owner, or started as a civil law suit at the
victim's own cost.

So the first step is that some copyright owner feels offended
enough (and can afford) to start this process.  Maybe some would,
but others just wouldn't (or couldn't) care.

The next step is that a court of law finds OSMF guilty of a crime,
which is far from certain.  As I mentioned, it is doubtful if the
data can be copyrighted at all.  The punishment is then in
proportion to the damage, i.e. the copyright holder's economic
loss.  And this is where the case becomes really ridiculous.

If we want to work in this direction, we don't need a list of
contributors who are willing to let go.  We need a list of
contributors who are ready and able to take action against it.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)