[OSM-talk] New Forest - thanks, tagging and lost keys

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sun Sep 24 23:23:11 BST 2006

Thanks to David, Robert, Jon, Dean, Neville, Steve, Richard and Anna for
coming to the New Forest weekend and making what was I hope an enjoyable, and
definitely a successful weekend with probably most of the roads and cycle
paths, and a good number of new footpaths, successfully mapped.

For those of you who did off-road stuff, for consistency with existing Forest
data I'd like to suggest the following tagging scheme:

Paths: highway=bridleway; foot=permissive; horse=permissive (all paths unless
otherwise indicated have permissive bridleway rights).

Narrow paths (if you noticed a path was particularly narrow): as above but
width=narrow. Maybe not an ideal tag but in an eventual printed or online map
of the Forest I'd like to distinguish narrow paths for navigation purposes.

Waymarked cycle tracks: highway=unsurfaced; foot=permissive; horse=permissive;
bicycle=permissive

Gravel tracks with no cycle access: as 'waymarked cycle tracks' but minus the
bicycle=permissive.

On another note, did anyone at the weekend leave a set of very small
(padlock?) keys. The tea shop found them when we left.

Nick