[OSM-talk] Problems with Osmarender

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 23:32:34 BST 2006

On 9/24/06, Ben Robbins <ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ben
>

> >Check the tags.  The ways must have a highway tag.
>
> They do.  I've highway tagged the vaste majority of everything Ive made.

>Make a group of one :-)
>
> It is a group.  Or a way.  The whole road is blue, and when i click on one
> bit the whole thing is selected.  The tags can then be viewed for the
> entire
> way.

You have two roads that have been made into ways; the A43 and the A5.  These
are both tagged as highway=Primary.  They should be tagged as
highway=primary.

>>e.g. If one street has houses at some points along it, will I have to
> >>split
> >>the set of segments into a group of ways according to where the houses
> >>are/are not?
>
> >Yes.
>
> Hmm...well Shorely as more and more data gets added, there will be
> millions
> of ways that are just 1 segment.  So in effect...they 'are' just a
> segment..
> I don't get the point of these ways at all.

Think of ways as a replacement for segments.  Segments can have only two
nodes.  Ways can have as many nodes as you need.  So ways are better than
segments.  One day soon ways will be re-defined as a list of nodes instead
of a list of segments.  Then all segements will be replaced by ways with
just two nodes.  After that, no more segments.

And yes, if we all work hard enough, there will be millions of them - that's
good isn't it?

Etienne