[OSM-talk] Problems with Osmarender

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 24 23:53:33 BST 2006

>You have two roads that have been made into ways; the A43 and the A5.
>These
>are both tagged as highway=Primary.  They should be tagged as
>highway=primary.

oooohhhh!!! capital letters...Didn't no they made a diffence.  I have now
got a road to render intentionally wich is bitchin.  Thanks loads 80n.    I
was actually messing around with the roads south of towcester near
wittlebury.  It is still slightly strange, because this time i a section of
the A43, in the south, rendered, while last time it didnt, and i havnt
touched that (super definate).  Also the top most section of the A413
rendered, wich didnt before, wich was confusing, because its tags were
identical (capital letters and everything).  But Ill run over all the roads
and make them ways now, and then see if these confusions go away.

>Think of ways as a replacement for segments.  Segments can have only two
>nodes.  Ways can have as many nodes as you need.  So ways are better than
>segments.  One day soon ways will be re-defined as a list of nodes instead
>of a list of segments.  Then all segements will be replaced by ways with
>just two nodes.  After that, no more segments.

>And yes, if we all work hard enough, there will be millions of them -
>that's
>good isn't it?

Don't really understand.  I didnt mean that having millions is bad.  But if
signal segments are marked as ways, then they will work in exactly the same
way as a segment still, casue they will function alone, rather than as a
group.  I'm just confused what the advantage is...because e.g. if a road has
no junctions or anything (lets say), and is all the same raod name, but has
speed bumps down it.  Then someone may tag the nessesery segments as
speedbumps.  This would then mean if there are 6 speed bumps, that the 1
road is 13 ways......that may be less ways than the total amount of
individual segments, but I don't understand the real advantage.

Etienne