[OSM-talk] Drawing only using ways (getting rid of segments)

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 09:40:46 BST 2006

On 9/25/06, Etienne <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> Think of ways as a replacement for segments.  Segments can have only two
> nodes.  Ways can have as many nodes as you need.  So ways are better than
> segments.  One day soon ways will be re-defined as a list of nodes instead
> of a list of segments.  Then all segements will be replaced by ways with
> just two nodes.  After that, no more segments.

If this scheme is used how can I make a street named "Jobbigagatan",
this street changes some attributes over it's course and keeps some.
E.g. some parts of it is one way, it can only be used by cars.

This is how I can work:
* So I place all its nodes

then either like this:
** make a way, with a name and all the attributes tagged
** make a new way for each one way section

or  like this:
** for each one way section
*** make a way from the nodes belonging to it
*** tag it with all the attributes and the name.
*** next one way section

Or like this:
** make a way from all the nodes name and tag it:
** make ways from all the one way sections, tag them as oneway. Bind
them to the first way we created. (creating a superway, with lots of
"sub"-ways)

/erik