[OSM-talk] Personal tags

Bruce Cowan bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 12 14:33:38 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 14:25 +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:

> There is a little danger here that new potential data creators will feel
> that they have to use standard tags and that also they have to have
> alternative tags approved before they can use them. Since OSM was originally
> conceived to permit fully freeform tagging we wouldn't want to give the
> wrong impression.

I understand this view, but I think it is important to have people using
the same tags for the same feature.  Somebody might not realise that
others are also tagging cairns on the top of mountains, but with a
different tag to the one they are using.  Surely it would be best if
everyone used the same tag?

--
Bruce Cowan <bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com>