[OSM-talk] Web Based Yahoo! Maps/OpenLayers Editor

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Apr 17 02:44:31 BST 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 02:40:19AM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >That was the 'queryable=editor&editor=Your%20Name%20Here' bit:
>
> Ah, I was looking for a button somewhere.
>
> >However, it looks like you didn't enter a name :)
>
> Thought I had put "framm" but maybe mixed something up.

If you put it in *after* you edited the feature, but before you
uploaded, and did not hit 'save' first, it wouldn't apply: the feature
attributes are updated at
 * Feature Create Time
 * hitting the 'save' button.

We can't update them at upload time because you have lots of features
you created :)

> >>2. Would it be possible to show existing drawing by others in another
> >>color?
> >
> >I have no way of determining 'others', but showing the data from the WFS
> >in a different color is possible.
>
> Aren't "others" simply those who used another name? Oh I see, the name
> is not really a session attribute but could theoretically be different
> for every object I send, right?

Right. There's no way of knowing 'who you are', because it's not
designed for that :) This is designed as a tool to let you:
 * Sketch some data over Yahoo
 * Drop into JOSM
 * Clean data up
 * Upload

> But if the whole thing were to go live
> with a built-in upload-to-OSM-server capability,

It won't. Nick is building one of those: I'm not :) I'm perfectly happy
to build something that people can edit, save to JOSM, and then upload
via existing tools.

> then you'd have to add
> a session management, checking OSM username/password against the OSM
> server anyway, and that would then set the "Your Name Here" bit to the
> username, and then you'd know who the "others" were.

Again, just to be clear that this is not my target/goal, but yes, it is
possible.

> >>4. When panning in the satellite view, there was a rather annoying white
> >>flash, and the image only came back when I released the mouse button.
> >>(Firefox 1.5.0.7 under Linux).
> >
> >That's the Yahoo! Maps API. Talk to Yahoo :)
>
> Ah, that's why they don't use it on their own pages ;-)

No comment :)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt