[OSM-talk] 'osmajax' - OpenLayers OSM editor - update

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sat Apr 21 12:33:43 BST 2007

Hello everyone,

Would like to announce an update to 'osmajax', the OpenLayers Vector-based
editor.

It's available at

http://www.free-map.org.uk/?mode=osmajax

(Login with your OSM username and password)

You can now do live drawing of ordinary ways and areas (polygons), and they
will be uploaded to the OSM server. You can set their type; currently this is
one of : footpath, bridleway, byway, minor road, A road, B road, trunk road,
motorway, cycle path, wood, lake, heath or river. These high level types are
translated to appropriate OSM tags.

You can use New Popular Edition maps and OSM trackpoints as background,
allowing you, for example, to easily trace a lake from an NPE map. It's hoped
to extend this to Yahoo! and Landsat (presumably the Yahoo! agreement would
cover this as it's via a web interface?)

It is rather orientated towards UK countryside use at the moment though it is
an aim to orient it as an international countryside-orientated editor.

Features such as moving individual nodes, and deletion are not yet present.
It's hoped that the editor will evolve as the OpenLayers vector layer
evolves.

Code (JavaScript) is in SVN. Note that the server side code handling
authentication and OSM proxying (part of Freemap) is not yet; this is because
the Freemap code is a bit of a mess file-wise at the moment and I don't want
to unintentionally upload my passwords :-) I really need to sort it out...

Nick