[OSM-talk] OSM the mediocre alternative

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Apr 22 00:56:16 BST 2007

Hi,

> I was making a point about people talking-not-doing. There are of course
> many things to fix in the data model as we spoke about in Essen. Triple
> tags (namespaces, whatever), larger objects, dropping segments... that's
> all fine and I agree they need work.

Good ;-) plus the idea with having a sort of "commit note", that should
get us a lot closer to local communities being able to communicate "hey
I did this and that because so and so".

> I have to remind you the core code is all sitting there in svn waiting
> for features. I'm not forcing anyone to just do workarounds.

My current strategy is burying myself in tiles at home and JOSM work as an
excuse for not touching the server code ;-) but I will, sooner or later.
The problem with server work is that the server is that close to
breaking down from high load every day - anyone wanting to make any
meaningful contribution, however nicely tested in a clean home
environment, will practically have to get root access on the machine,
get a briefing by Nick and/or you, then install the stuff on the server
and sit there for 24 hours just watching load stats and log files to see
if if his baby can swim. That's not a task for anybody...

Bye
Frederik