[OSM-talk] maplint vs. uncontinuous streets?

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:56:26 BST 2007

Without a doubt, if/when we get superways, then it will be necessary to
convert non-linear and non-contiguous ways into simple linear ways, so
there's no harm in continuing to do this.

For the moment the only real benefit of not making branching ways is that
you get better street name rendering.

In Osmarender street names are just written along a way as if it was a
single continuous path.  This can result in all kinds of jumbled up and
fragmented labelling.

This is fixable and, one day, will be.  Osmarender already breaks complex
ways up into a series of sub-paths for some purposes, but not yet for
rendering names.   The street name should be written once on each of the
sub-paths but only if the name is shorter than the length of the sub-path.

80n