[OSM-talk] Users, contributors and developers

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Apr 27 09:59:04 BST 2007

>We were talking about the order and the name of what in database
>terms is just a third column (in addition to key and value). So
>should it be called namespace or subkey or what and in what order
>should it be given?

Namespaces are probably my preference as they allow more "freeform"
tagging - they allow you to use your own tagging scheme for your own needs
in addition to the standard OSM tagging. e.g. if I want to invent a
"pathtype" tag which distinguishes between the different types of paths in
the New Forest, I can stick it in a "newforest" namespace. The subkey
approach does not really allow this, at least not intuitively.

Nick