[OSM-talk] Users, contributors and developers

Fri Apr 27 10:29:27 BST 2007

SteveC wrote:
> namespace:key=value
> eg en:name:blah street
>
> or subkey?
>
> key:subkey=value
>
> name:de=blahstrasse
>
>  From the database POV it really doesn't matter but for those who see
> the keyval system as 'chaos' it's all deeply significant. We couldn't
> even agree that a third column was _needed_. Andy speaking from the
> front lines would it be useful if it existed?

First of all, I don't care in which order a namespace/subkey/whatever
would appear, but I do see advantages and potential in using these. Just
a few random thoughts:

1) Bilangual place names have been mentioned:
place=town,name:en=blah,name:welsh=blubb,name_default=welsh

2) Renderer specific hints:
renderName:osmarender=no

3) Introducing multiple restrictions on one road:
restriction:1=noaccess,restriction_valid:1=6am-6pm
restriction:2=oneway,restriction_valid:2=6pm-6am

3b) Same for junctions and other things:
junction=roundabout;way_id:1=1234,road_sign:1=Norfolk
way_id:2=4321,road_sign:2=North pole

3c) it could even be used to mark turn restrictions
highway=primary,turn_restriction:<wayid1234>=nomotorcar

This can be done without introducing an new columns and stuff, just by
using it as a convention. How it's done in the backend and what's it
called like should be of no concern to the end user...

Spaetz