[OSM-talk] Australian emergency telephones

Lachlan Rogers lachlan at rogers.name
Wed Aug 1 04:12:08 BST 2007

Along freeways in Australia (such as the Hume Highway), there are regularly
spaced emergency telephones.  I have uploaded a photo of such a phone
located along the M7 motorway in Sydney to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Emergency_phone_au.jpg

On the Australian talk list it was agreed that it would be useful to mark
these phones in OSM.  They are numbered, and so providing this information
on a map could help someone locate their position along the freeway.

A possible method for tagging these telephones would be
amenity=telephone
class=emergency

This would essentially make them a sub-case of public telephones.  We could
also create a new amenity value such as amenity=emergency_phone.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  Which option do people like the
best?