[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 18:06:46 BST 2007

On 8/1/07, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> Peter Miller wrote:
> > crossing=footbridge
> > crossing=foottunnel
> > crossing=cyclebridge
> > crossing=cycletunnel
>
> These make some sense, but don't we already have tags that cover all
> these use cases?  I don't even know that we need to tag them as
> crossings, since they shouldn't even have nodes at the "intersection"
> since the roads don't intersect.

Since we don't mark in pavements (sidewalks), I've found some crossing
hard to mark. It's all right to mark in a footbridge (as a footway on
layer=1, with steps) - but when there's no pavements, what do we
connect the paths to? A simple tag on a node helps do things like this
quickly, and that's better than it not being marked at all.

Cheers,
Andy