[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Aug 2 09:59:38 BST 2007

Ahoy,

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 09:29:50 +0100, "Andy Allan" <gravitystorm at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Not as far as I'm concerned, no. It's pretty tedious to tag that way.
> (it's pretty tedious to write the rendering rules too, but there's a
> fewer number of people affected). If I have 400 toucan crossings to
> tag, how do you think I'd prefer to do it?

Is it a big problem if every country has their own localised tags, so long
as their longhand meaning is clearly documented? So, for example, we Brits
use "crossing=toucan" and write down somewhere that it translates into
"crossing=traffic_signals;bicycle=yes;segregated=no" for the benefit of
renderers, routers, etc. Other nationalities, or even localities, can use
their own silly names so long as they document somewhere what they mean?

Another approach would be to have localised editing software, so Andy loads
JOSM/Potlach and selects the toucan crossing option, but it actually adds
the longhand tags to the database.

I can fully appreciate how tedious doing it longhand can be! It's one
reason I still like highway=residential, it very neatly encapsulates a
number of assumptions that would otherwise take lots of tagging (roughly
highway=unclassified;speed=slow;likelihood_of_kids_in_street=high;sides_of_road=houses;etc.)

Kind regards,
Tom