[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Aug 2 10:14:49 BST 2007

Hi,

> Is it a big problem if every country has their own localised tags,
> so long
> as their longhand meaning is clearly documented? So, for example,
> we Brits
> use "crossing=toucan" and write down somewhere that it translates into
> "crossing=traffic_signals;bicycle=yes;segregated=no" for the
> benefit of
> renderers, routers, etc.

If you want to use national tagging specialities, I am very much in
favour of that, but you should then prefix your tags somehow, eg.

crossing=uk:toucan

just in case there's a "toucan" somewhere else, with different meaning.

> Another approach would be to have localised editing software, so
> Andy loads
> JOSM/Potlach and selects the toucan crossing option, but it
> actually adds
> the longhand tags to the database.

JOSM already supports that, it is called "tagging presets" (formerly
"annotation presets"), you just have to edit an XML file to describe
your types of crossings. You can even add pretty symbols to each.

Bye
Frederik