[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 09:30:32 BST 2007

On 8/2/07, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> Andy Allan wrote:
> > On 8/2/07, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> >
> > Feel free to continue to hurl abuse at me.
>
> Yeah, I may have gotten carried away there.  But I was rather offended
> at "those who don't want to learn new words" -- as if "pelican" or
> "toucan" are new words to me.
>
> I apologize for any offense that I may have given.

That's fine, and I thank you for your apology.

> and then
> you said "[Too bad,] I'm sticking to [ *my way* ] ... until someone else
> comes up with something *better* [that uses only one tag]".

But I didn't suggest that my way was the only acceptable way - I'm
happy for people to tag things however they see fit - so long as it
doesn't destructively interfere with what other people are doing.

If someone from the Netherlands came along and said "Andy, we've been
tagging cycle crossings for the last six months as
something=somethingelse since that's what they are called in the
Netherlands", then I'd render them straight away. I might even
consider using their tag for the stuff that I tag, if their cycle
crossings are similar to the one at the end of my street.

But if someone came to me and said "Andy, our main roads in Narnia
aren't showing up. We didn't want to use highway=trunk since trunks
are what you get on elephants - we've been tagging them as highway =
generic, segway=no, aircar=no, horse=permissive, truck = yes, boat =
no, intercity_connection = yes", then, well, I'd suggest they came up
with a shorthand way of describing them, in whichever language they
like. But they may as well use the English term, since it really
doesn't matter what language they are in if they describe the same
feature.

You said in another email "crossing=whatever (generic world-wide
term)" - I'd love if someone came up with a list of generic worldwide
terms. The more I took at how they are done in different countries
(like the australian list shows), the less I think there will be
generic terms - things are just done differently in different
countries. So we may as well use crossing=zebra in the UK and
crossing=wombat in Australia - and if it turns out that "zebra"
crossings in the UK and some other country mean different things -
then I expect, as Dave was trying to say, I'll be able to tell the
difference given the latitude and longitude of the nodes concerned.

Cheers,
Andy