[OSM-talk] Mapnik style in slippy map

Fri Aug 3 12:38:00 BST 2007

Steve Chilton wrote:

> Frequency of use shows some kind of acceptance, although I hear what
>  you are saying about some being inherantly low-scorers because of
> what they are. Without wishing to cause an avalanche I will look at
> windmill some time shortly (see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Windmill).
>  The good thing is that there is a PNG image there which can be used.

I do think it's important that our Mapnik layer avoids the "if it's
there, we must show it" approach. We already have Osmarender for
completeness, and it does an excellent job of it.

The Mapnik layer should be a cartographically strong, visually
appealing map, as it is now, to demonstrate to the new user that OSM
output can match that of a commercial webmap.

If symbols are to be added, they should be designed coherently to fit
in with the Mapnik layer style. The danger of adding symbols piecemeal
is actually shown best by UI design, I think: OS X's little system
icons (top right) are clear and simple in black-and-white; Windows'
multi-colour system tray icons (bottom right) are complex and
indistinguishable.

cheers
Richard