[OSM-talk] Mapnik style in slippy map

Stephen Socks Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Sat Aug 4 11:55:19 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 12:38:00PM +0100, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> The Mapnik layer should be a cartographically strong, visually
> appealing map, as it is now, to demonstrate to the new user that OSM
> output can match that of a commercial webmap.
>
> If symbols are to be added, [...]

  It's a little strange, given RichardF's SOTM talk, to be supporting
  his general plea to keep icons to a minimum with an appeal to
  mashups!  I'd hope in the future to be able to do much cleverer
  things with live rendering of OSM-combined-with-other-data, but for
  now we live in a world of mashups!

  As suggested on the list a few weeks ago, the next version of
  OpenGuides will be able to use OSM Mapnik tiles as a layer in the
  Google map of a node.  This is already in place for the Oxford
  Guide - look, for example, at
  http://oxford.openguides.org/wiki/?Prince_Of_Wales,_Iffley

  At the default zoom, everything seems good, but you might want to
  zoom in for a bit more detail - so click the + twice and then we
  see the problem: a Google pin in the middle of two pints of beer -
  what's that supposed to mean?!

  OK, in an ideal world, we'd take on board Richard F's SOTM talk and
  things like http://oxford.openguides.org/wiki/?id=Cowley_Road
  wouldn't be a pin, but would have the whole street highlighted.
  We're not there yet, and so, for now, we need a simple (but good
  looking) backdrop for mashups of all sorts.  Please bear this in
  mind when adding icons for things!