[OSM-talk] Mapnik style in slippy map

Fri Aug 3 14:38:39 BST 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I object to Richard's notion that tiles at home aims for completeness
> while Mapnik aims for beautiful maps.

Er, I didn't, and wouldn't, actually say that. Osmarender has come on
in leaps and bounds, and the v5 that Etienne showed off at SOTM is a
major step forward.

The difference is that Osmarender is essentially a
whole-community-driven style and therefore will reflect the "complete"
consensus of participants - who tend to be mappers. The Mapnik layer
in OSM (not Mapnik per se) has historically been driven by a smaller
number of people, not all of whom are predominantly mappers, and will
therefore concentrate on coherence and significance as viewed by those
people.

Like I say, there's two layers, so no point in having them both do the same.

cheers
Richard