[OSM-talk] Pub icon

frankie roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Sun Aug 5 16:52:30 BST 2007

> >> Woah - having a wine glass represent a pub is a bit untraditional!
> >>
> > Yes, I don't think it's a good idea. I would expect a wine tavern and
> > not a pub with it!
>
> Again - people in different parts of the world may expect wholly
> different things...

Indeed, there's no escaping the fact that maps encode all kinds of
cultural assumptions, often by necessity. The icons (or pictograms)
work by depicting something that best represents a place, or is most
commonly associated with it - however this may very from country to
country, or perhaps within different cultures. So creating a pictogram
set, or even just a cartographic style, that works internationally,
could be pretty tricky...

Standards like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7001 might be worth
referencing, although aren't always fantastic.

Ultimately, we, or other people, may end up creating more
custom-designed national/regional maps that encode different cultural
assumptions...