[OSM-talk] Osmarender naming short ways

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Aug 6 04:36:18 BST 2007

Brent Easton wrote:

> Osmarender is naming each short bridge section with the highway name
> and reference number and it looks just plain bad. Is there a tag to
> hint to the renderer to not display the name of a way?

Yes, but I believe it's discouraged to put renderer-specific tags in
the main openstreetmap database.  See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender/Tags

I've got a number of renderer ideas in my head that I'm going to try out
in code any day now, and one of them is getting rid of the "one way, one
name" idea - looking for ways with the same name and highway type, merge
them, and then split them up when it gets too long.  This also fixes the
"name isn't rendered because it's a short street with long name and a
roundabout in the middle" problem, and the "name is rendered dozens of
times in a short space due to roundabouts" problem.  Or at least, I hope
it will.

> The same problem applies to roundabouts where Osmarender writes the highway name around the roundabout.

Since roundabouts are intersections of multiple ways, I thought the
standard was to not tag them with a name?

Cameron