[OSM-talk] Few questions on highway=track

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Aug 7 09:06:32 BST 2007

Freek wrote:

> > At the moment "track" is generally used for an unpaved route that is
> > accessible by motor vehicle (but not necessarily a car).
>
> That's where I'm using it for, roughly (I actually use it for /all/ roads that
> fit your description, including ones that have a name-sign and up to two
> farms along it), but it appears to contradict partially with the
> interpretations other mappers use, like David wrote:

Hmm.  Sidetracking this a bit, most maps of Australia use the convention
of dashed lines for unpaved roads and solid lines for bitumen.  This has
the advantage that major/minor routes can be distinguished - e.g. major
unsealed routes crossing the interior of the country vs minor access
roads for communities and homesteads.  This would correspond to using
surface= in OSM nomenclature, I suppose - then raising once again the
question of when you'd use [highway=unclassified surface=unpaved] vs
when you'd use [highway=track].

Cameron