[OSM-talk] Few questions on highway=track

Freek freek_osm at vanwal.nl
Tue Aug 7 08:54:32 BST 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Andy Robinson wrote:
> As for your track question you have spotted one of the limitations of the
> current tagging method for highways in that the highway type does not
> reflect the permissions for use.
>
> At the moment "track" is generally used for an unpaved route that is
> accessible by motor vehicle (but not necessarily a car).

That's where I'm using it for, roughly (I actually use it for /all/ roads that
fit your description, including ones that have a name-sign and up to two
farms along it), but it appears to contradict partially with the
interpretations other mappers use, like David wrote:

> If it's a public road that is maintained by the state with the usual
> access rights that just happens to be unpaved I don't think it's
> really a track. I'd tag it as highway=unclassified; surface=unpaved.

Of course there's no one "true" meaning of highway=track, but I'd still like
to know what the majority of British mappers would consider a track
(especially public unpaved roads, sometimes hardly accessible for normal
cars).

--
Freek (another Dutch mapper, sharing Rik's question)