[OSM-talk] Few questions on highway=track

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 09:30:34 BST 2007

On 8/7/07, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> >> 4. This weekend out of the blue highway=unsurfaced popped up in the
> >> map_features. No proposal, no discussion, no nothing. Is this the
> >> regular way in osm ?
> >
> > The map features page is just a normal wiki article. Anybody with an
> > account can edit it. So anyone can add a feature to the page with no
> > discussion. Normally it will quickly be removed if it hasn't been
> > through the proposal and approval system.
>
> I've removed it.  In addition to not going through the usual process, it
> didn't solve any problem that wasn't already solved.

It's been in use, and rendered by mapnik, for many, many months. See
e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.46651829197238&lon=-0.23471391859477436&zoom=18&layers=B0F
and
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/mapnik/osm.xml#L1301

Don't be so hasty with removing things without checking more
thoroughly. It's use almost certainly predates the 'usual process' and
whichever other way you believe 'solves [the] problem'.

Thanks,
Andy