[OSM-talk] Soccer or football?

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Tue Aug 7 12:04:25 BST 2007

Tom Chance wrote:

> Personally I'd prefer to just see a proliferation of sport tags. I don't
> think there's much point in saying sport=football;football=rugby, because
> then the tag "sport=football" becomes meaningless - you really have no idea

Isn't this tag sufficient for renderers?  sport=football -> largeish
green field with some kind of goal at each end.  I'm guessing that given
a field of suitable dimensions, you can play *any* of the different
sports that go under the name "football".  American football has a 91m
by 49m pitch (plus 18m end zones).  Manchester United (to name an
example at random) have a 105m by 68m pitch (assuming they have 4m
length spare, still enough for the end zones).  Aussie Rules and Gaelic
football have somewhat bigger pitches.  But at the end of the day,
sport=football describes a large green field, usually rectangular.
Doesn't any further detail belong in other tags?  What application needs
this other data?

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.