[OSM-talk] Soccer or football?

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Aug 7 13:53:20 BST 2007

Jon Bright wrote:
> Tom Chance wrote:
>>
>> Personally I'd prefer to just see a proliferation of sport tags. I don't
>> think there's much point in saying sport=football;football=rugby,
>> because
>> then the tag "sport=football" becomes meaningless - you really have
>> no idea
>
> Isn't this tag sufficient for renderers?  sport=football -> largeish
> green field with some kind of goal at each end.  I'm guessing that
> given a field of suitable dimensions, you can play *any* of the
> different sports that go under the name "football".  American football
> has a 91m by 49m pitch (plus 18m end zones).  Manchester United (to
> name an example at random) have a 105m by 68m pitch (assuming they
> have 4m length spare, still enough for the end zones).  Aussie Rules
> and Gaelic football have somewhat bigger pitches.  But at the end of
> the day, sport=football describes a large green field, usually
> rectangular. Doesn't any further detail belong in other tags?  What
> application needs this other data?

You get that with leisure=pitch. The point of the "sport" tag is, so far
as I can see, to more precisely specify the sort of sport(s) that is/are
played on the field. So you might render a football pitch as a green
rectangle with a football on it, whilst a basketball court, tennis
court, rugby pitch and American football pitch might all get different
treatments. That or you just make them all plain green rectangles, which
is what we have at the moment.

Kind regards,
Tom