[OSM-talk] Ireland United - A1 / N1 new road opened yesterday

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 22:01:49 BST 2007

On 03/08/07, Andy Robinson <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> According to my civil engineering beano a new cross border road opened
> yesterday. At 14km long I hope it can make it into OSM soon? It runs from
> the AT at Newry to the N1 north of Dundalk.

OK - for anybody interested in this, I have now mapped the bulk of the
new scheme.

Some details:

North and southbound carriageways are complete as far north as the
Jonesborough/Carrickcarnon exit. Not all junctions south of this point
are mapped, but the one as the N1 becomes the M1 is (the perfectly
straight slip road should be considered schematic, I didn't survey
it).

The Jonesborough exit itself is missing a slip road (for N1 S exits).
The slip road for northbound exits is odd, as it crosses into NI
almost as soon as you leave the mainline, leading to two sets of speed
limits on the ramp.

The entire southbound carriageway is present. A portion of the
northbound carriageway, between J'Boro and the next entry north of
there is missing and will be added when I next drive the full stretch.

What appears to be a contraflow at the immediate north of the scheme
is indeed a contraflow. This looks set to remain in place for a good
while, so I've mapped it as is.

Dermot