[OSM-talk] Contacting OSM editors

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Thu Aug 9 09:11:42 BST 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 11:31:58PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <b5f0f61d0708081446r77df40bfkd6adac75cdf9771d at mail.gmail.com>
>           "Dermot McNally" <dermotm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 08/08/2007, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> > > The situation (as unfortunate as it is) is that I have no authority
> > > to release that information, and indeed under UK data protection laws
> > > it would quite likely be illegal to do so.
> > I understand that. One option (for my selfish purpose) would be for
> > you to contact the mapper and urge him/her to contact me, but that
> > would set a precedent that would make you the correspondence secretary
> > for a whole bunch of us and I'm not sure I'd want that if I were in
> > your shoes :-)
> Obviously that is possible, but I have been trying to avoid it for
> precisely the reasons you mention.

Perhaps you could have an automated web form and/or API call which takes a
way or node id, and has a text area for a message.  It would require a
login to minimise abuse/random webcrawlers and allows messages from a
particular OSM user to be sent on to the email address of the person who
last touched it.  If that doesn't always pull out the problem edits then
I guess it could send to all people who edited a way/node using history.

Something like that gets around the data protection concerns.  I'd
suggest they be archived somewhere that admins at least can see.

Is that possible?

As an aside, I always thought it'd be nice to see who's been mapping
nearby so you could contact each other and potentially join forces to
map a particular section.

--
 _        huggie at earth.li      -+*+-     fou, con et anglais      _
(_)        Zelfs een blinde kip vindt wel eens een korrel        (_)