[OSM-talk] Bus stops

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Thu Aug 9 14:33:10 BST 2007

Hi,

On to my next potentially earth-shattering tag question: bus stops.  I
see from Map Features that the tag appears to be "highway=bus_stop" and
that it applies to nodes.

My question: the "highway" key makes it seem like these nodes should
also be part of a way - i.e. I should (if necessary) add a node to the
way which forms the street that this bus stop is at the side of.  This
also seems like it might not be the worst thing in the sense that using
route=bus, it would then be possible to work out a bus route from one
place to another.

If, on the other hand, you're using bus stops as a navigational aid in a
car journey, or if you're just trying to find a bus stop somewhere, it
seems like it would be useful to know which side of the street the bus
stop is on.  Assuming a two-way street, this would preclude those nodes
being part of the way - they'd be freestanding nodes to the side of the
way, often (but not always) roughly paired, one on each side.

Anyone have any hints?  (Other than the hint that I might want to spend
less of my time thinking about bus stops, something I've already
realised for myself :-)

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.