[OSM-talk] Bus stops

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Aug 9 16:37:39 BST 2007

Hullo,

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 15:33:10 +0200, Jon Bright <jon at siliconcircus.com>
wrote:
> My question: the "highway" key makes it seem like these nodes should
> also be part of a way - i.e. I should (if necessary) add a node to the
> way which forms the street that this bus stop is at the side of.  This
> also seems like it might not be the worst thing in the sense that using
> route=bus, it would then be possible to work out a bus route from one
> place to another.
>
> If, on the other hand, you're using bus stops as a navigational aid in a
> car journey, or if you're just trying to find a bus stop somewhere, it
> seems like it would be useful to know which side of the street the bus
> stop is on.  Assuming a two-way street, this would preclude those nodes
> being part of the way - they'd be freestanding nodes to the side of the
> way, often (but not always) roughly paired, one on each side.

I've been doing the latter for want of a better method. I want to render
them on maps, and there you want to know which side of the road they're on.
I've also stuck route numbers and operator names into the "note" tag until
a standard method comes along. There is lots of discussion on this subject
in the mailing list archives and I think on the wiki, if you want to dig.
I'm rather hoping someone will develop an extremely clever solution :)

> Anyone have any hints?  (Other than the hint that I might want to spend
> less of my time thinking about bus stops, something I've already
> realised for myself :-)

After getting my confidence to cycle around London rather than take the bus
I've been blissfully unconcerned by them of late, although I really should
worry more about mapping bus lanes that I can zip down past static cars in
jams :)

Kind regards,
Tom