[OSM-talk] Fedora users - build your slippy map

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 9 22:33:34 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 11:48 +0100, Keith Sharp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> To encourage people to use Mapnik, and hopefully to start contributing
> to its development, I've put together some packages and instructions for
> taking a planet.osm file and creating your own web based slippy map:
>
> 	http://www.passback.org.uk/maps/fedora.shtml
>
> I have started the process of submitting the Mapnik RPM for inclusion in
> the Fedora proper, once that is complete I will start submitting the
> other packages as well.
>
> There are a couple of things I'd like to do to improve the installation:
>
> 1) Fix the Mapnik/SELinux problems so that you don't need to disable
> SELinux.
>
> 2) Add the database configuration commands to the post-install script of
> the osm-slippymap RPM so that the database setup is automated.
>
> Any other feedback or suggestions welcome,
>
> Keith.

Thanks for putting these together, it certainly makes a slippy map
installation much easier for a new user.

I ran problems because I've got an x86-64 machine which you've got no
RPMS for it (yum bombs out after finding the repodata is missing).

I recompiled the SRPMS and everything was fine apart from Mapnik. I had
to make some changes to re-add '-fPIC' to the AGG compile and tweak the
spec file to pick up the right path for some of the Python files.

All my compiled files and the mapnik src.rpm are at:
  http://www.jburgess.uklinux.net/osm-slippy/

If you think the changes are OK, feel free to add these to your repo if
you want, or maybe I can create a repo with both i386 and x86_64
packages.

I've got one remaining issue causing the text labels to be missing in
the output. I'll try to figure out why.

	Jon