[OSM-talk] Fedora users - build your slippy map

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Thu Aug 9 20:02:01 BST 2007

On 09/08/07, Keith Sharp <kms at passback.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 14:34 +0100, Artem Pavlenko wrote:
> > On 09/08/07, Keith Sharp <kms at passback.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > 1) Fix the Mapnik/SELinux problems so that you don't need to disable
> > > SELinux.
> >
> > Could you remind me what is the problem with SELinux? And if anything
> > should be done on Mapnik's side. I've upgraded to scons to 0.97 and
> > this seems to fixed couple problems, have you tried it ?
>
> The SELinux problem seems to show itself when using
> Apache/TileCache/Mapnik.  The symptom is that nothing is rendered and
> you get SELinux related log entries, I think in /var/log/messages.  ISTR
> that Jon Burgess has reported similar problems.  I don't think it will
> be difficult to fix, just need to capture the log messages and run them
> past the Fedora SELinux mailing list.

Any SELinux messages should be in /var/log/audit/audit.log, assuming there's
nothing like bad contexts on installed files which can be corrected with
restorecon, then you can use the audit2allow command on those log lines (you
only want those related to mapnik), something like 'grep mapnik
/var/log/audit/audit.log |audit2allow -M mapnik', this will create a
mapnik.pp file in the current directory, this can be installed by running
'semodule -i mapnik.pp'... You'll probably find it easier to set SELinux to
permissive mode, run through your test cases, build and install the policy
module, set SELinux back to enforcing mode and give it a try... All being
well with the policy module, this could be included in the mapnik package...

Hope this helps...