[OSM-talk] Slippymap Question

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 22:18:56 BST 2007

On 8/10/07, Bone Killian <vitki at bonius.com> wrote:
> I have been trying to follow the directions on "Deploying your own
> slippymap" but I do not understand the openlayers syntax.  The wiki
> article says to look at the informationfreeway source, which I have
> done.  Perhaps I am dense, but I can't make my slippymap work.
>
> Can anyone explain this to me?
>
> layerTilesAtHome = new OpenLayers.Layer.TMS(
>                 "tiles at home (direct)",
>                 "http://tah.dev.openstreetmap.org/Tiles/tile/",
>                 {type:'png', getURL: get_osm_url, displayOutsideMaxExtent: true } );
>

> I gather that we're creating a new TMS layer (What is TMS?).
> We give it a name "tiles at home (direct)"
> We point it to the folder with all the tiles in it.
> What does this last line mean?  Are there multiple possible kinds of TMS
> layers?  What is a MaxExtent?  What does getURL do?

I spent a while looking at both the main osm map and the
informationfreeway map trying to get mine working. Maybe you'll have
more luck following the much more simple javascript stuff at
http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/osm/ (the little js snippet on that
page, the map.js referenced from it and the current openlayers.js
combined work fine.)

Both other maps do extra stuff (editing, the whole t at h requests
thingy) which gets a bit confusing when trying to read the code.

Cheers,
Andy