[OSM-talk] Crossing ways

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat Aug 11 17:17:32 BST 2007

Looking at http://discord.ensued.net/crossingways1.png, I'd expect to see the minor road physically divide into three divide into three link roads if I drove along it, two of which (implicitly) cross the dual carriageway by bridge or tunnel.  I suspect, forgive me if I am wrong, that instead you are trying to model the logical arrangement dictated by traffic lights and signs to show that U-turns are not allowed?  I don't think you can do that with the current OSM model; as indeed you suggest, some sort of extra tagging would be required.

Assuming the real physical layout of the junction is simple (?), I personally just show the minor road connecting to a node on the nearest carriageway and carrying on to finish as a node on the second carriageway.  That would then render correctly but loses information about turn restrictions for future navigation/routing software.  There has been debate on this issue, but no consensus reached on a solution that I am aware of.

Mike